Malvern Link

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Worcestershire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

MALVERN LINK is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1846 from the civil parish of Leigh, and in 1895 was, under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894", made a civil parish; it is a mile north-east from Great Malvern, on the road to Worcester, with a station on the Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway, and is in the Western division of the county, Malvern petty sessional division and county court district, Martley union, rural deanery of Powick and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, and forms an important and increasing suburb of Great Malvern. The "Local Government Act, 1858", was adopted by the "Special Drainage District", March 5, 1872, but the district is now governed, under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894", by an Urban District Council, and lighted with gas by a limited company, from works at Lower Howsell, erected in 1861.

The area of Malvern Link Urban District was extended by two Orders of the Worcestershire County Council, confirmed by Local Government Board Orders dated September 27, 1890 and December 7, 1891 respectively. The church of St. Matthias is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle and south porch: it was enlarged in 1881-2, at a cost of £3,895, under the direction of Mr. F.W. Hunt, of London, when the nave was widened, the north aisle and organ chamber rebuilt, and the former enlarged and the chancel and south aisle extended: the church was reopened 27th Sept. 1881. The chancel screen and a beautiful triptych were given by the Countess Beauchamp and the stained east window by the late Earl Beauchamp. A memorial window was inserted in 1891, to the Rev. Thomas King, first vicar of the parish. There are 700 sittings. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £98, net yearly value £249, and residence, in the gift of Earl Beauchamp, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Archibald Day M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford.

St. Michael's mission chapel, erected in 1877, for the benefit of the outlying districts of this parish, is a structure of brick, seating about 100 persons. The chapel of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion is a square building, erected in 1861. At Quest Hills is a small Wesleyan mission room, seating 80 persons. The Church Institute, erected in 1893, at a cost of £1,600, is an edifice of brick with stone dressings, from designs by Mr. Lewis Sheppard, of Worcester, and will hold about 300 persons. The Diocesan Penitentiary for Fallen Women, situated here, is the property of and managed by the Sisters of the Holy Name, the Bishop of Worcester being visitor. An orphanage has been added, and a memorial chapel to the late lady superior was erected in 1892, at an estimated cost of £4,500; it is of red brick, in the early 14th century Gothic style, from designs by Messrs. Bucknall and Comper, architects, of London. The area of the Urban District, which includes Malvern Link, Upper and Lower Howsell, and parts of New Town, North and West Malvern, is 1,147 acres; rateable value, £22,500; parish, £19,888; the population in 1891, parish, 3,305; Urban District, 4,589.
[Kelly's Directory of Worcestershire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/MalvernLink/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library