Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2005

BARLOW (or Great Barlow) is a village, township and parish on a bold eminence, commanding a very extensive view of a finely cultivated country, 3½ miles from Sheepbridge station and 5 miles from Staveley station, both on the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 4 miles north-west from Chesterfield and 10 south from Sheffield, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, rural district, petty sessional division, count court district and rural deanery and archdeaconry of Chesterfield, and diocese of Derby.

The church of St. Lawrence is a small Norman building, consisting of chancel (added in 1867), nave and lady chapel, south porch and turret containing one bell. There are four stained windows, placed hero in 1874; an inscribed marble slab to Robert Barley and his wife, Margaret dated 1467, and an ancient coffin lid with inscription, of the 13th century. There are 201 sittings. The register dates from the year 1573. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £350, including 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the rector of Staveley, and held since 1923 by the Rev. Edward Wm. Lumley, of St. Chad's Hostel, Hooton Pagnell.

There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here, erected in 1892. The United Methodist chapel here was acquired in 1902 by the Order of Oddfellows, and is now used for their meetings. The charities for distribution amount to £22 8s. yearly. Woodseat Hall, now a farm house, is the property of William H. Fanshawe Thorold esq. J.P. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor. The land is mainly owned by the farmers. The soil is medium; subsoil mixed. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The acreage is 3,916 of land and 16 of water; the population in 1921 was 964.

Post, M.O. and Tel. Call Office. Letters through Sheffield. The nearest T. office is at Holmesfield.

Police Station at Commonside.

Carriers.- Stanley Staton & Benjamin Booker to Chesterfield daily.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library