Coalpit Heath

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

COALPIT HEATH is an ecclesiastical parish, including the hamlet of Nibley, which was formed April 29, 1845, from the parishes of Westerleigh and Frampton Cotterell; it has a station on the main South Wales line of the Great Western railway, and is 2 miles south west from Yate station on the Bristol and Birmingham section of the Midland railway and 4 west-by-south from Chipping Sodbury, in the Thornbury parliamentary division, petty sessional division of Lawford's Gate, union of Chipping Sodbury, county court district of Bristol, rural deanery of Bitton and archdeaconry and diocese of Bristol.

The church of St. Saviour is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a small western tower containing 5 bells: there are sittings for 400 persons, all free. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bristol, and held since 1906 by the Rev. Ernest John Phillips M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. In this parish are extensive collieries. The principal landowners are the Hon. Mrs. Smyth and Lord Roundway V.D. The soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and pasture. The population in 1911 was 1,813.

NIBLEY is a hamlet, 1 mile north, on the river Frome.

Sexton, Albert Williams.

Post & M.O. Office.- Albert P. Varlow, sub-postmaster. Letters through Bristol. Frampton Cotterell is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant

Letters for Mays Hill received through Bristol, via Frampton Cotterell

Church of England Public Elementary School (mixed), erected, with master's residence, by the lords of the manor in 1868, for 240 children; William J. Coombes, master

Railway Station (Great Western), William E. Barrington, station master

Carrier.- J. Slade, from Chipping Sodbury to Bristol, daily, except wed

Motor omnibuses pass through from Bristol to Malmesbury, Chipping Sodbury & Titbury daily
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library