France Lynch

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

FRANCE LYNCH, formerly in the parish of Bisley, is an ecclesiastical district, and since 1894. within the civil parish of Chalford, and is about 1 mile north-east from Chalford station on the Swindon, Stroud and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway, and about 4 south-east from Stroud, in the Stroud division of the county, hundred of Bisley, union, county court district and petty sessional division of Stroud, rural deanery of Bisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.

The church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1857 at a cost of £2,700, is an edifice in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch, vestry, organ chamber and a bell-cot over the chancel arch containing one bell: the capitals of the columns in the nave and the corbels of the arches in the chancel are beautifully sculptured; the font is of polished Devonshire marble: there are 258 sittings. In 1894 Sir John E. Dorington gave a donation of £1,000 for the endowment of this church. The register dates from the year 1858. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bisley, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Arthur Wade Wade-Evans B.A. of Jesus College, Oxford.

France Congregational chapel, at RANDALL'S GREEN, was founded in 1662, and has 550 sittings. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 1,108.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library