Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

DONNINGTON is a village and parish, on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, bounded on the west by the river Leadon, which here divides the county from Gloucestershire, about 2 miles south from Ledbury station on the Worcester and Hereford Section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a wooden western turret containing 2 bells: it was restored and re-pewed during the year 1862, when a vestry was built: the stained east window is a memorial to Mrs. Lander and the west window to the late Rev. James Newton, rector of Preston, Gloucestershire, and there is another to the late Rev. John Lander M.A. rector of Donnington 1845-90. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1755; marriages, 1754; burials, 1765: previous entries relating to Donnington are in the registers of Ledbury.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value £135, with 26 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Dalrymple Fanshawe G.C.B., G.C.V.O., J.P. of Donnington Hall, Donnington, and held since 1904 by the Rev. Frederick Augustus Reiss M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Donnington Hall, a plain mansion pleasantly situated, is now the property and residence of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Dalrymple Fanshawe G.C.B., G.C.V.O., J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and hops. The area is 1,038 acres, divided into eight farms; rateable value, £1,732; the population in 1911 was 103 in the civil and 80 in the ecclesiastical parish.

By Local Government Board Order 16,127 dated March 25, 1885, Haffield was transferred from Ledbury to Donnington.

Parish Clerk. John Mace.

Post & Telegraph Office. Greenway. - Miss Henrietta Hook, sub-postmistress. Letters through Ledbury are received at 7.45 a.m. & 5.5 p.m.; dispatched at 8.45 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.: sunday, letters are received at 8.45 a.m. & despatched at 9.45 a.m. Dymock, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order office

Wall Letter Box, Donnington rectory, cleared 7.10 a.m & 6 p.m. & sunday 7.45 a.m

The children of this parish attend the schools at Ledbury, Dymock & Haffield

Fanshawe Admiral-of-the-Fleet Sir Arthur Dalrymple G.C.B., G.C.V.O., J.P. Donnington hall
Henry Col. Thos Allan, Haffield
Reiss Rev. Frederick Augustus M.A. (rector), The Rectory

Davis Fanny Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Nurdans farm
Hamilton Fredk. farmer & hop growr. Dinchall & Donnington Court farms
Maddox Clifton frmr. Smalllings farm
Perkins Arthur, farm bailiff to Admiral-of-the Fleet Sir Arthur Dalrymple Fanshawe G.C.B., G.C.V.O., J.P. Home farm
Smith Charles, farmer, The Vineyard
Thorpe William, head gardener to Admiral-of-the-Fleet Sir Arthur Dalrymple Fanshawe G.C.B., G.C.V.O., J.P.
Walcroft Emma (Mrs.), farmer, Lower House farm
[Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library