St Giles's Old Church, Edvin Loach (Ruin)

Recent Photograph of St Giles's Old Church (Ruin) (Edvin Loach)

Showing the ruined nave and tower of old St Giles's Church, which is just a short distance from the new St Mary's Church, built 1858-60, designed by George Gilbert Scott. The Old Church now in the care of English Heritage.

According to the church's guide leaflet, the old church dates from the mid-1000s - the herringbone masonry, visible on the wall on the right of the nave in this photograph being apparently a feature of late Saxon churches of the region. The tower was added in the 16th century, and probably at the Reformation, the church was rededicated to St Mary, which is also the dedication of the modern church which has replaced it.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 13th October 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library