St Mary's Church, Ross (Rudhall Chapel)

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (Rudhall Chapel) (Ross)

Information on a display tablet tells us that the monuments are to several generations of the Rudhale [Rudhall] family who lived at Rudhall Manor, ‘a fine Tudor house, two and a half miles from Ross’. It continues:

They are fine examples and provide an interesting insight into the development of monumental sculpture in 16th & 17th Centuries. The detail (especially of 1 below) is worthy of closer inspection. The folder at the back of the church gives detailed information.

1. William (1530) and his wife Anne. William was the most famous of the Rudhalls. He was Attorney-general to Arthur, Prince of Wales (son of Henry VII). He is responsible for the present appearance of the manor.

2. William (1609) and his wife Margaret (Croft). A black marble and alabaster wall monument.

3. Richard and other children of William (above)

4. John (1636) and his wife Mary (Pitt). A second altar tomb.

5. Colonel William (1651). The last of the male line of the Rudhalls. Colonel William was a cavalier in the Royalist Army and led a local troop in a skirmish at Wilton Bridge.

6. Bust of Thomas Westfaling (1814) who married into the Rudhall family.

The monuments are somewhat cramped. This part of the church was once a chantry chapel, bought by the family at the time of the reformation. The monuments eventually filled the entire space available.

Rudhall Manor is a private house and is not open to the public. The 14th Century “Rudhall” Almshouses on Church Street (to the north east of the church) were restored by William & Margaret (2 above)

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Image contributed by Mel Lockie on 12th November 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library