Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

DERRINGTON is a village, 2 miles west from Stafford and [sic] south from Seighford. The church of St. Matthew is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: it was built and endowed in 184.5 at the sole expense of the late Rev. C.S. Royds, rector of the adjoining parish of Haughton, who also left £200 vested in trustees as a reserve fund for repairing the church. The register is incorporated with that of Seighford. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly valve of £33, including 52 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Charles Twemlow Royds M.A and held since 1880 by the Rev. Edwin Creswell Perry M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who is vicar of and resides at Seighford.

DOXEY is 1½ miles south-east and 1½ west from Stafford.

ASTON is 1¼ miles south-east. COTON CLANFORD is 1½ south-west from Seighford and 1½ north-east from Haughton station on the London and North Western railway.

POST & PARCEL OFFICE.- Cornelius Ingram, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stafford arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Stafford is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Letters for Little Bridgeford through Stone. Stafford is the nearest money order & telegraph office

WALL LETTER BOXES, Vicarage wall, cleared at 5.45 p.m.; at Great Bridgeford, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days only

A School Board of 5 members was formed April 28, 1873; Charles Henry Wright, Stafford, clerk to the board; Frederick Abbotts, attendance officer

Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1874 & enlarged in 1894, for 186 children; average attendance, 100 boys & girls & 55 infants; Edward Chinn, master; Miss Catherine Chinn, mistress

Railway Station, Great Bridgeford, Thos. Owen, station master

Police Station, Great Bridgeford, Thomas Trueman, constable

CARRIER TO STAFFORD.- Thomas Boulton, sat
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library