Forsbrook with Blythe Bridge

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

FORSBROOK is a township and parish, formed May 4, 1849, from the parishes of Dilhorne and Stone, including Blyth Bridge, where there is a station on the North Staffordshire railway and is 3 miles south-west from Cheadle, in the Leek division of the county, hundred of North Totmonslow, and Cheadle union, petty sessional and county court district, rural deanery of Cheadle, archdeaconry of Stoke-upon-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St Peter, erected at a cost of about £1,950, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing one bell; the stained east window is a memorial to Charles Harvey esq. of Blyth House; in 1883 an organ chamber was built, and a new organ erected; there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £266, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Thomas Petty Forth. There is a small Methodist chapel here erected in 1856. The Hon. Edward Swynfen Parker-Jervis, of Little Aston Hall, Stonnall, who is lord of the manor, Reuben Gallimore esq. of Checkley, George Bennion esq. of Bluth House and Richard Jarvis esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is principally clay; subsoil clay, and in some parts sandstone rock. The crops are cereals of all kinds. The area is 1,240 acres; the population in 1891 was 1,228.

Sexton, William Martin.

POST OFFICE.- William Owen, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stoke-on-Trent, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 8.45 a.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Blyth Bridge & telegraph office at Blyth Bridge railway station

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.45 a.m. daily

BLYTH MARSH is a hamlet in Forsbrook township, on the river Blyth, with a station (Blyth Bridge) on the Crewe and Uttoxeter section of the North Staffordshire railway, 146¾ miles from London. Blyth House, the seat of George Bennion esq. is a mansion of stone in the Tudor style, with a tower. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, entirely rebuilt of stone in 1882, at a cost of about £800, and holding about 200 persons. Every alternate Monday a cattle sale is held at the Smithfield hotel, by Mr. William Walters.

POST, M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Blyth Bridge.- Mrs. Mary Ann Hazzlehurst, sub-postmistress.

Letters arrive from Stoke at 5 a.m. & 12.50 p.m.; dispatched at 11.40 a.m. & 8.50 p.m. The telegraph office is at the railway station

WALL LETTER BOX, Railway station, cleared at 8.55 p.m.
WALL LETTER BOX, near the villas, cleared at 9 p.m. daily

In 1728 William Amory endowed a small school with 6½ acres of land. In 1878 a new school was erected in connection with this foundation, with funds derived from the charity. The school will hold 125 boys; average attendance, 74; William Higgins, master

National (girls' and infants'), built about 1857 & enlarged in 1887, for 124 children; average attendance, 109; Miss Annie Goodwin, mistress

Railway Station, Blyth Bridge, Albert Frederick Ellerton, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library