Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SANDON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Stafford, containing 513 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the patronage of the Earl of Harrowby. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains an elegant monument to the memory of the well-known genealogist and antiquary, Sampson, the last of the Eardwicks, formerly proprietors of the manor, who was born here, and died in 1603; the site of their ancient mansion, encompassed by a moat, is still distinguishable. In the grounds of the hall, a noble stone structure belonging to the Earl of Harrowby, is an obelisk, erected to the memory of the late Rt. Hon. William Pitt, which bears date 1806, and is encircled with iron palisades. The stone with which this mansion and pillar are built was obtained in a quarry on the spot. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish, in a line parallel with the Trent. Sandon is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. Sandon confers the inferior title of viscount on the family of Ryder, Earls of Harrowby.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library