St Stephen's Church, Macclesfield Forest (3)

Recent Photograph of St Stephen's Church (3) (Macclesfield Forest)

“MACCLESFIELD FOREST (is) a township and chapelry in the parish of Prestbury, and hundred of Macclesfield, county palatine of Chester, 4 miles E. of Macclesfield, its post town. This is the chief of several townships which formed part of the ancient royal forest of Macclesfield. The village is a small straggling place.

The living is a curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £120. The church is a small edifice, rebuilt about 1824 on the site of the old one. There are small charities of about £2 10s. per annum, also a parochial school. The Earl of Derby is lord of the manor and seneschal of the forest.”

(Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 30th July 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/MacclesfieldForest/StStephen4.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library