St Christopher's Church, Pott Shrigley

Recent Photograph of St Christopher's Church (Pott Shrigley)

“POTT-SHRIGLEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Prestbury, hundred of Macclesfield, county Chester, 4½ miles N.E. of Macclesfield, its post town, and 1 mile from Bollington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Macclesfield and Congleton canal. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries. There are several brick kilns and tile works. The soil is of a clayey and sandy nature, with a rocky subsoil. Freestone is quarried.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £100. The church is an ancient stone structure, with an embattled tower containing a clock and three bells. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is an infant school, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Pott Hall and Shrigley Hall are the principal residences; the latter is situated in a well-wooded park.”

(Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003)


Image contributed by Pete Howard on 17th April 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/PottShrigley/StChristopher.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library