Wrenbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WRENBURY, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Bromhall, Chorley, Woodcot, and Wrenbury with Frith, and containing 934 inhabitants, of which number, 526 are in the township of Wrenbury with Frith, 4 miles (S.W. by W.) from Nantwich. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £2200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Acton. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a fine carved oak ceiling and an elegant tower. A branch of the Chester canal passes through the parish, and a court leet is occasionally held here.. A school is supported by annual subscriptions amounting to about £12.

BROMHALL, a township in the parish of WRENBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Nantwich, containing 196 inhabitants.

CHORLEY, a township in the parish of WRENBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5¼ miles (W. by S.) from Nantwich, containing 183 inhabitants.

DODCOT, a township, joint with Wilkesley, partly in the parish of WRENBURY, but chiefly in that of AUDLEM, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (W.S.W.) from Audlem, containing 670 inhabitants. The chapel of Burley Dam, which is in the parish of Audlem, stands in this township; it is a neat modern structure, founded by Sir Lynch Salisbury Cotton, Bart. In that part of the township which is in the parish of Wrenbury, Hugh de Malbanc, in 1133, founded the Cistercian monastery of Combermere, and dedicated it to St. Mary and St. Michael, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £258. 6. 6.: the site and buildings were granted, in the 32nd of Henry VIII., to William Cotton, Esq., an ancestor of Lord Combermere, whose family seat, occupying the spot, is agreeably situated on the margin of the beautiful lake of Combermere, his lordship deriving the title of baron from this place.

FRITH, a township, joint with Wrenbury, in the parish of WRENBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (S.W. by W.) from Nantwich, containing 526 inhabitants.

WILKESLEY, a township, joint with Dodcot, partly in the parish of WRENBURY, but chiefly in the parish of AUDLEM, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.W. by W.) from Audlem. The population is returned with Dodcot.

WOODCOT, a township in the parish of WRENBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.W. by W.) from Nantwich, containing 29 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Wrenbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library