Wybunbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WYBUNBURY, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Bartherton, Basford, Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Checkley with Wrinehill, Chorlton, Doddington, Hatherton, Hough, Hunsterson, Lea, Rope, Shavington with Gresty, Sound, Stapeley, Walgherton, Weston, Willaston, and Wybunbury, and containing 4146 inhabitants, of which number, 429 are in the township of Wybunbury, 3 miles (E.S.E.) from Nantwich. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £13. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry.

The church, dedicated to St. Chad, was rebuilt in 1595; it is a spacious structure, with carved wooden ceilings and a lofty pinnacled tower, which leans a little to the north-east. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school, founded by the late Sir Thomas Delves, Bart., is conducted on the National system, and attended by one hundred and thirty-four boys, of whom twenty receive annually a blue coat and cap each: the same individual endowed a school for ten girls, each of whom have a blue gown and bonnet annually; also four others in different parts of the parish, which afford instruction to sixty-six girls. There is, besides, a boys' school, called the Wybunbury Charity, built by subscription about two hundred years ago, and endowed by several persons for the instruction of twenty boys. An hospital, dedicated to the Holy Cross and St. George, for a master and brethren, existed here before 1464.

BARTHERTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (S.S.E.) from Nantwich, containing 29 inhabitants. The Grand Trunk canal passes in the vicinity.

BASFORD, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (E.) from Nantwich, containing 86 inhabitants.

BLAKENHALL, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (S.E. by E.) from Nantwich, containing 225 inhabitants.

BRIDGEMERE, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 7 miles (S.E.) from Nantwich, containing 233 inhabitants.

CHECKLEY, a township, joint with Wrinehill, in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 7 miles (S.E. by E.) from Nantwich, containing, with Wrinehill, 211 inhabitants.

CHORLTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Nantwich, containing 91 inhabitants.

DODDINGTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (S.E.) from Nantwich, containing 39 inhabitants. There is a mutilated tower; which formed part of Doddington castle, erected by Sir John Delves in 1364, where are preserved statues of Lord Audley and his four squires who fought under the Black Prince at Poictiers; near it stood the old hall, which was made a parliamentary garrison in the civil war, taken for the king by Lord Byron, in January 1644, and retaken for the parliament shortly after. Sir Thomas Delves, who died in 1727, gave by deed £1535 for the purchase of land, the income derived from which is applied for the support of schools at Doddington and Weston, in which twenty boys and ten girls of the parish of Wybunbury are clothed and educated.

HATHERTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (S.E. by S.) from Nantwich, containing 418 inhabitants.

HOUGH, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Nantwich, containing 202 inhabitants.

HUNSTERTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (S.E.) from Nantwich, containing 239 inhabitants.

LEA, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, containing 71 inhabitants. The Ellesmere, or Wyrral, canal passes through this parish.

ROPE, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Nantwich, containing 95 inhabitants.

SOUND, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Nantwich, containing 247 inhabitants.

STAPELEY, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (S.E.) from Nantwich, containing 329 inhabitants.

WALGHERTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.E. by E.) from Nantwich, containing 246 inhabitants.

WILLASTON, a township in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, l mile (E. by N.) from Nantwich, containing 209 inhabitants.

WRINEHILL, a township, joint with Checkley, in the parish of WYBUNBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 7 miles (E.S.E.) from Nantwich. The population is returned with Checkley.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Wybunbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library