Bridge over River Wye, Bakewell

Recent Photograph of Bridge over River Wye (Bakewell)

This bridge, one of two old stone bridges over the River Wye at Bakewell, is surprisingly older than the narrow “Packhorse” bridge further upstream, and in fact it is believed to be the oldest in the county. The earliest known date for a stone bridge at this point is 1272, but the bridge was widened on the north side in the 19th century for increased road traffic. The triangular sections sticking out into the river between the arches perform the function of strengthening the bridge, and on the road side provide triangular recesses, known as “quoins” where pedestrians in early days could step to avoid hooves and coach wheels. Today they may do so to avoid motor cars and heavy goods traffic on the busy A619 road to Chesterfield.

This delightful view, ably captured by Peter Kirk, is taken from the west bank of the river looking towards “Castle Hill”. The roof of a cottage which can just be seen to the left of the Weeping Willow tree hanging over the river used to be thatched. The cottage is on the corner when the road over the bridge divides, turning sharply left (the main road) towards Baslow, or veering right (now the B6408) towards the old Bakewell Railway Station

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Image contributed by Peter Kirk on 22nd January 2002.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library