The Old Town Hall in King Street, Bakewell

Recent Photograph of The Old Town Hall in King Street (Bakewell)

This building, in King Street, Bakewell, was built in 1709, and as well as being Town Hall, and Buttermarket, the upper floor was for a long time used for Court and Quarter Sessions.

In 1826 the upper floor became the home of Lady Manners' Grammar School, then between 1885 and 1964, it was a Working Mens' Club. Until 1964 the ground floor was a fishmongers, after which it became an antiques showroom. At the time of writing (2003) it is occupied by ‘Theme’, a retail outlet specialising in interior designs.

A very versatile building, which at one time also housed the town's fire engine!

The spire of All Saints Church can just be seen in the background, to the left.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Peter Kirk on 5th May 2001.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Bakewell/OldTownHall.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library