Breadsall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BREADSALL, a parish in the hundred of APPLETREE though locally in that of Morleston and Litchurch, county of DERBY, 3 miles (N.E. by N.) from Derby, containing 544 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £28. 2. 8., and in the patronage of Sir G. Crewe, Bart. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large handsome structure with a lofty spire: on the south side of the chancel is a monument to the memory of Erasmus Darwin, the poet, physician, and botanist, who died here in 1802. The Little Eaton canal and railway pass through the parish. John Hieron, a nonconformist divine of considerable celebrity, was incumbent of this parish from 1644 to 1662,

A school-room was erected on the waste, in 1788, at the expense of Sir Henry Harpur, and some of the parishioners; it is endowed with £10. 8. per annum, arising from a bequest of £200 by the Rev. John Clayton, in 1745, for which seventeen scholars are taught reading. Here was anciently a house of friars hermits, afterwards converted into a small priory for monks of the Augustine order, the entire revenue of which, at the dissolution, was not more than £13. 0. 8.: it is supposed to have been founded by some member of the family of Dethick.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Breadsall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library