The End of the Road, Castleton

Recent Photograph of The End of the Road (Castleton)

The first trans-pennine routeway across Mam Tor was laid in 1811 as an alternative to the Winnats Pass, but the roadway was finally abandoned after a catastrophic landslide in 1977. The after-effects can be seen here, and travellers will be happy to know that the two approaches - from the Chapel en le Frith side and the Castleton side both have ‘Road Closed’ signs.

Traffic now travels once more via the The Winnats.

‘Lose Hill’ is where a retreating ancient army lost a battle to the forces on nearby ‘Win Hill’ (honestly!)

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Pete Howard on 15th May 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Castleton/MamTor3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library