Hearse House, Chapel en le Frith

Recent Photograph of Hearse House (Chapel en le Frith)

Hearse House - stands opposite the Town Hall on the main road. It was built in 1818 to accomodate the parish hearse, which was available to parishioners to hire for a fee - though they had to provide their own horse, be it owned, loaned, or hired from elsewhere!

The inscribed stone above the arched doorway of Hearse House reads:

Hearse House
Erected
1818
Samuel Grundy, Minister
Stephen Bellott
and
Adam Fox, Churchwardens
Martinside.

The inscription can be seen in close-up, below.

Chapel en le Frith, Hearse House (Inscription)

(Information provided by Janet Kirk)


Image contributed by Janet Kirk on 12th July 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/ChapelenleFrith/HearseHouse.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library