The Royal Oak, Chapel en le Frith

Recent Photograph of The Royal Oak (Chapel en le Frith)

The Royal Oak - situated on the main road, opposite the Market Place and a few yards lower down the hill and next door but one from the “Dog Inn”. The Magistrates' Court was once conducted here, before it moved to the newly built Town Hall from 1850/1 onwards. The Royal Oak was also the departure point for the stagecoaches to Stockport and Manchester. The building to the right of the “Royal Oak”, (and to the left of the “Dog Inn”) sits on the site once occupied by yet another pub, the “Pack Horse Inn” (now defunct).

(Information provided by Janet Kirk)

Image contributed by Janet Kirk on 12th July 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library