St Thomas Becket's Church, Chapel en le Frith

Recent Photograph of St Thomas Becket's Church (Chapel en le Frith)

In 1225, the foresters of the Royal Forest were given permission by the Earl of Derby to build a chapel of ease to the Mother Church at Hope. The chapel was dedicated to St Thomas à Becket, and around a century later, it became the parish church.

Or, as recorded in White's Directory of 1857: “A chapel was originally built here by the inhabitants, and consecrated by Bishop Savensby, between the years 1224 and 1238. By a record of the year 1317, it was then deemed a parish church.”

(Information provided by Janet Kirk/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 7th April 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/ChapelenleFrith/StThomas.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library