Dale Abbey

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DALE-ABBEY, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the hundred of MORLESTON-AND-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Derby, containing 418 inhabitants. Here is a chapel within the jurisdiction of the manor and peculiar court of Dale-Abbey. The poor of this liberty are entitled to the benefit of the school at West Hallam, founded by the Rev. John Scargill; and of that at Risley, founded by Mrs. Elizabeth Grey. There are the remains of an abbey of Premonstratensian canons, which was founded about the year 1204, by William Fitz-Rauf, seneschal of Normandy, and his son-in-law Jeffrey de Salicosa Mara, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary; at the dissolution its revenue was estimated at £144. 12.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/DaleAbbey/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library