Edensor

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

EDENSOR, a parish in the hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 2¼ miles (E.N.E.) from Bakewell, containing, with Chatsworth and the hamlet of Pilsley, 752 inhabitants. The living, formerly a vicarage, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4., is now a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains several monuments of the noble family of Cavendish. The village is situated entirely within Chatsworth Park. The Duke of Devonshire contributes £30 a year in aid of a school, which sum, with £5. 12. per annum arising from an enclosure of waste land, and the interest of £50, the gift of John Phillips in 1734, is appropriated for the instruction of sixty children.

CHATSWORTH, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Bakewell. The population is returned with the parish of Edensor. Chatsworth, as part of the duchy of Lancaster, is within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The splendid mansion of Chatsworth was begun in 1687, and completed in 1706, by William Cavendish, first duke of Devonshire, upon the site of a more ancient edifice, which was taken down about the close of the seventeenth century, and in which Mary, Queen of Scots, passed a considerable portion of her long captivity in England.

Sir John Gell garrisoned it for the parliament, in 1643, but capitulated to the Earl of Newcastle, who, in December of the same year, placed Col. Eyre, with a sufficient force, therein, to hold it for the king. In 1645, it withstood the siege of four hundred parliamentarians under Col. Gell, who, at the expiration of fourteen days, raised the siege, and retired to Derby. After the battle of Blenheim, in 1704, Marshal Tallard, the French general, having been made prisoner on that occasion, was sent to reside here.

PILSLEY, a hamlet in the parish of EDENSOR, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 2 miles (N.E.) from Bakewell, containing 243 inhabitants. Pilsley is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Edensor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library