Presbyterian/Unitarian Chapel, Great Hucklow (2003)

Recent Photograph of Presbyterian/Unitarian Chapel (2003) (Great Hucklow)

The Great Hucklow Presbyterian Chapel was founded in 1696 under the auspices of William BAGSHAWE, the non-conformist minister, and so-called Apostle of the Peak whose brother Thomas was Lord of the Manor here. At the time, worship outside the Church of England was still against the law, and early meetings were held in secret, at a barn nearby to the site of the present building. The latter is believed to dates from 1796 or 7 - its building was most likely prompted by the Act of Relief of 1791, which made worship outside the Church of England legal.

Please note the present day congregation at this Chapel is Unitarian, the introduction being possibly in 1826, when the register of Presbyterian baptisms ends. Baptisms in the IGI recorded as “Presbyterian, Great Hucklow, Derby, England”" would have taken place at this Chapel.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 30th May 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/GreatHucklow/PresbyterianChapel.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library