Litton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LITTON, (or LYTTON), a township, hamlet and village, is three-quarters of a mile east from Tideswell. The base of an old cross occupies the centre of the village.

Divine service is conducted here every Sunday and Wednesday evenings in the Church National school-room, by the vicar of Tideswell and his assistants, and there is a Wesleyan chapel. The charities amount to 7s. 6d. yearly. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture and stone and lime quarrying. The principal landowners are Lord Scarsdale, who is lord of the manor, and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. The soil is light, on limestone, and is chiefly in grass. The area is 1,639 acres; rateable value, £2,664; the population in 1891 was 715, including Cressbrook.

CRESSBROOK, a village in the township of Tideswell, is two miles south from Litton and three south from Tideswell; here in a glen on the banks of the Wye are the extensive cotton mills carried on by the Cressbrook Mill Co. Limited; the inhabitants are principally employed in the mills. Here is a mission church, with a turret containing 2 bells, in connection with Tideswell church: divine service is held here every Sunday: there are 150 sittings. Cressbrook Hall is an Elizabethan stone mansion, on the rather steep slope of a well-wooded mountain side, on the banks of the Wye and surrounded by pleasure grounds, about a mile north-west from Monsal Dale station on the Midland railway, and is now the residence of George Benton esq.
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Litton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library