Millers Dale

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

MILLER'S DALE is a hamlet partly in the parish of Wormhill and partly in this [Tideswell] parish, with a station on the Midland railway; a fine iron viaduct supported on massive stone piers, about 100 feet high, carries the Midland railway over the river Wye and the road and forms a boundary between the two parishes. About a mile from the station, by the river side, in the direction of Cressbrook, are the extensive mills of Matthew Dickie jun. maker of double yarn. Miller's Dale school church, erected in 1880 as a chapel of ease to Tideswell, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, with a tower containing a clock: there are sittings for 120 persons. Chee Tor, a huge rock rising from the valley of the Wye to the height of 350 feet, is near this place.
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/MillersDale/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library