Taddington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TADDINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Tideswell, containing, with the township of Priestcliffe, 463 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is fast going to decay: near it is the mutilated shaft of an ancient cross. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The Rev. Roger Wilkson, in 1714, bequeathed lands, now producing £84 per annum, for the education of all children of the Wilkson family, and ten others, by a schoolmaster bearing his name. Twelve poor children are also taught in another school, erected by subscription in 1805, and supported with a rent-charge of £15, the bequest of Michael White in 1798. Taddington is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court, of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

BRUSHFIELD, a township in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 4 miles (W.N.W.) from Bakewell, containing 40 inhabitants.

PRIESTCLIFFE, a township in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Tideswell. The population is returned with the chapelry of Taddington. The Rev. Roger Wilkinson, late of this place, gave £400 for the endowment of a charity school, which, having been invested in land, produces £80 per annum.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Taddington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library