Marston on Dove with Hilton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MARSTON-upon-DOVE, a parish in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Burton upon Trent, containing, with the townships of Hilton and Hoon, and the hamlet of Hatton, 905 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £7. 15. 2., and in the patronage of E. S, Pole, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the early and partly in the decorated style of English architecture.

HATTON, a hamlet in the parish of MARSTON-upon-DOVE, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 10 miles (W.S.W.) from Derby, containing 225 inhabitants.

HILTON, a township in the parish of MARSTON-upon-DOVE, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 8¼ miles (W.S.W.) from Derby, containing 533 inhabitants. A school-house was erected about 1655, by Arthur and Thomas Hanison, and in 1781 the Commissioners of enclosures allotted land for the support of a schoolmaster, whose annual income is £20, for teaching all the poor children of the parish.

HOON, a township in the parish of MARSTON upon DOVE, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 9¼ miles (W.S.W.) from Derby, containing 40. inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/MarstononDove/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library