Egginton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

EGGINTON, a parish in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Burton upon Trent, containing 319 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £8. 2. 8., and in the patronage of Sir C. Eveny, Bart., C. Pole, and Joseph Leigh, Esqrs., the two former having each two presentations, and the latter one. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is a small ancient building with a low tower. The rivers Dove and Trent and the Grand Trunk canal pass through the parish. At the Norman survey Eghintune was described as having a church, a priest, a mill, and six farmers. In March, 1644, a battle was fought on Egginton Heath, in which the royalists were defeated by the parliamentarians under Sir John Gell.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Egginton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library