Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846

This information was collected by Jayne Smith (formerly McHugh), during her “One Place Study” of Newbold. It was previously part of her North West Derbyshire website.
Transcription is by Stephen Kimberley, © Copyright 2003

NEWBOLD AND DUNSTAN.

NEWBOLD and DUNSTAN or DUNSTON, form a joint township, which contains 3,002 acres of land, 352 houses, and 1527 inhabitants, of whom 758 were males and 769 females. Rateable Value £4,668. Population in 1801, 781; in 1831, 1140. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and sole owner. The trustees of the late Mrs Elizabeth Milnes Smith, Rev A.C. Broomhead, and B. M. Lucas, are also owners. The manor of Newbold, at Domesday survey, was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown, and contained six berwicks, Whittington, Brimington, Tapton, Chesterfield, Boythorpe and Eckington; it afterwards belonged to the abbot and convent of Welbeck. At the dissolution of the monasteries, it was parcel of the estate of Beauchief Abbey, and appears to have been granted to Sir William West, whose son, Edmund West, Esq., sold it in the year 1570 to Anthony and Gervase Eyre. Thomas Eyre, of Newbold, a zealous royalist, was governor of Welbeck, under the Earl of Newcastle; it is said that being captain of a troop, he was three times in one action personally engaged with Cromwell, and obliged him to retreat. This manor was included in the exchange before mentioned with the Duke of Portland.

NEWBOLD is a pleasant village 1¼ mile N.W. from Chesterfield, on a considerable elevation, commanding extensive views over a well wooded and highly cultivated country. At Little Moor, near Newbold, in 1842, a small Methodist chapel was erected; the township has extensive coal and iron mines, and several manufactories of brown earthenware and stoneware bottles; and contains many scattered hamlets, with wharfs on the canal adjoining Chesterfield. A school was erected by the freeholders, with the residence for the master, on Newbold Green, in 1805. Highfield, a neat mansion embowered with trees, one mile N.W. form Chesterfield, is the seat and property of Bernard Maynard Lucas, Esq. Holme Hall, 1¼ mile W. form Newbold Green, is the property of J.H. Barker, Esq. Newbold Field, a pleasant mansion, three miles N.W. from Chesterfield, is the seat and property of Edward Ward Fox, Esq., a minor, and Mrs Lucy Fox.

DUNSTAN is a scattered hamlet, with Dunstan Hall, a neat villa mansion, 2½ miles N.W. from Chesterfield, the property of the trustees of the late Mrs Elizabeth Milnes Smith.

TAPTON township and small village, 1½ mile N.E. by E. from Chesterfield, contains 650 acres of land, 34 houses, and 178 inhabitants, of whom 97 were males, and 81 females. Rateable value £1,188. Adam Barker Slater, Esq. is lord of the manor and principal owner; George Y.R. Wilkinson and John Meynell, Esqrs. are also owners. Tapton was held under the Briweres by the family of Brimington, from whom it passed in the reign of Edward III. to the Stuffins, of Sherbrooke; it was afterwards for some generations in the family of Durant, whose heiress married Alsop. In 1673, Durant Alsop and Thomas Alsop sold the manor to George Taylor, Esq. In the year 1842, John Stephenson, Esq., sunk a colliery here, 600 feet deep, from which good coal for the converting of steel, or for locomotive coke, is obtained. Tapton Hall, now a farm house, belongs to the lord of the manor. Tapton House, a neat mansion, is the property of George Y.R. Wilkinson, Esq., but the residence of George Stephenson, Esq., civil engineer, of railway celebrity, who has risen by self cultivation to great eminence. When a boy he was employed in a pit, and then as a banksman's boy. He observed the pumping engines were out of order, and offered to repair them; he was at first disregarded, but, when tried, he effected the work, and was put in charge of the engines. He afterwards suggested, and effected improvements in the tramrods. he was next employed on the Stockton and Darlington railroad, the first that carried passengers as well as minerals. This established his character; and when the Liverpool and Manchester railway was undertaken, he was employed; and was the first person who produced a locomotive capable of travelling at anything like the present rate.

TEMPLE OR NORTH NORMANTON township and small village, on the Alfreton road, 3½ miles S.E. by S. from Chesterfield, contains 500 acres of land, 29 houses, and 132 inhabitants, of whom 70 were male, and 62 females. Rateable value, £862. Robert Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal owner; besides whom Miss Lord, of Tapton, is an owner. This manor, which belonged to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the hospital of St John of Jerusalem, was granted, in 1563, to George Earl of Shrewsbury; it was afterwards in the Leake family. Godfrey Clarke purchased the manor of Normanton, with that of Sutton, of the trustees of the late Earl of Scarsdale. A small chapel of ease was erected here in 1623: the living, a perpetual curacy, certified at £7 12s. now £55, of which the Rev. Francis William Sharp, of Tibshelf, is incumbent.

WALTON township, scattered village, and district of houses which extend about five miles from Chesterfield, in a S.W. direction, on the Matlock road, contains 2,351 acres of fertile and well-cultivated land, 195 houses, and 940 inhabitants, of whom 468 were males, and 472 females. Population in 1801, 661; in 1831, 935. Rateable value, £4,783. The executors of the late Colonel Gladwin were lords of the manor and principal owners. Sir Henry Hunloke, Bart., executors of the late Rev. Turbutt, William Walker and the Rev. John Jebb, are also owners. A chapel of ease was erected do the north west side of the township, adjoining to Brampton, in 1841; it is a small neat structure, dedicated to St. Thomas. The Rev. Matson Vincent is incumbent. This place was for many generations the seat of the ancient and respectable family of Foljambe, to whom it hereditarily descended by Loudham from the Bretons. Sir Francis Foljambe, who had been created a baronet in 1622, sold it to Sir Arthur Ingram. The Ingrams sold it about 1636 to Mr PauI Fletcher, who bequeathed it to his nephew, Richard Jenkinson, whose son Paul was created a baronet in 1685. On the death of Sir Jonathan, 1741, the title became extinct. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Paul, inherited this estate, and gave it to her mother, who bestowed it on her second husband, William Woodyeare, of Crookhill, near Conisiborough, who in 1813 sold it. There was an ancient chapel in Walton, and Sir Robert Breton is said to have had a license for a chantry in his chapel at Walton, in the reign of Henry III. Park Hall, a neat mansion two miles S.W. from Chesterfield, is the seat and property of Mrs. Margaret Clay. Walton Lodge, a handsome mansion, in an extensive and well wooded park, three miles S.W. from Chesterfield, is the seat and property of Rev. John B. Jebb; near which is the neat villa residence of William Waller, Esq. Walton Works, 2¼ miles S.W. by W. from Chesterfield, consist of the cotton spinning, doubling, and candle-wick manufactory, and bleach grounds of Messrs. Hewitt, Longson & Co.; and Mr Simeon Manlove has near the west extremity of the township a factory for spinning and doubling Persian sewing thread.

NEWBOLD AND DUNSTAN

Marked 1 are in Dunstan,  2, Newbold Common,  3, Newbold Green,  4, Newbold Moor,  5, Upper Newbold,  6, Little Moor,  7, Stonegravels

These extracts have been formatted to reflect the way they appear in the directory as closely as possible.
However, surnames have been highlighted to assist in viewing them.

7 Blythe Rev. Alfred Turner, Unitarian Minister
3 Bromhead Rev, Alexander Crawford, M.A.
3 Eastwood William, Schoolmaster
  Edward Robert , joiner
  Elliott Thomas, wharfinger, Canal Wharf
  Fall Thomas, road surveyor
  Fox Mrs Lucy, Newbold Field
1 Foulds Thomas, tailor
  Hague Samuel, under ground steward
  Hardy John, gardener, Back Lane
3 Heath Misses E. & S.
  Heath Robert, shopkeeper
3 Heathcote George Mompeson, Esq.
  Johnson Mrs C. earthernware manufr. Potteries
  Lucas Bernard Maynard, Esq., Highfield
  Mitchell Mrs Elizabeth
  Mitchell Miss Ellen
  Mitchell Mrs Mary
  Mitchell Mr Joshua
4 Pearson Miss
  Redfern Peter, clerk Savings Bank, Rose Cottage
1 Rodger Godfrey, gardener
  Rushton William, farm bailiff
4 Sanforth Miss Mercy
  Slater Adam Parker, gent. Spring Bank
1 Smith Mrs Mary, Dunstan Hall
7 Towndrow William, gent
1 Tuner Thomas, book keeper
  Weatherell Thomas, excise officer, Wheat bridge place
2 Webster Elijah, tailor and shopkeeper
3 Wilson Mr Issac

INNS AND TAVERNS
7 Anchor, Thomas Hardy
7 Hare and Hounds, Thomas Olivant
7 Jug and Glass, Charles Grimes
3 Nag's Head, Samuel Platts

BEER HOUSES
4 Grafton George
2 Holt George
4 Simpson Moses

BLACKSMITHS
  Bargh John
2 Watts Thomas

BOOT & SHOEMAKERS
6 Bargh William
  Beard James, Pot house Lane
1 Clark Edward
  Hardy George
  Tagg Paul
2 Watkinson Samuel
  Wright William (and shopkeeper)

COAL OWNERS
1 Lancaster Samuel
7 Marr Edward
  Mellors Nathaniel
  Tomlinson George High Field
EARTHENWARE MNFRS
  Johnson Catharine, Potteries
  Madin Aaron
7 Sanforth Mrs Wm.
  Sharratt David

FARMERS
4 Alsop William
7 Barber William
  Bargh Samuel, Sheepbridge
1 Bargh Thos. Broombank
4 Botham Robert
7 Derbyshire Francis
1 Fidler Mrs
6 Glossop Robert
2 Grafton Thomas
5 Hancock Michael (higgler)
5 Hardwick John
  Heath Hannah
  Hollingworth William, Sheepbridge
  Key Issac, Brockville House
1 Lancaster Wm. Luke
1 Lancaster Samuel
FARMERS (Cont'd)
5 Lingard James
5 Lowe Samuel
4 Madin Aaron
6 Mather James
6 Moore Nehemiah
1 Peat John
2 Robinson John
7 Sanforth James
4 Sanforth William
6 Stanley William
7 Stringfellow Wm.
  Warren Joseph
2 Watkinson Elizbth
2 Watkinson Matthew
5 Webster Thomas
3 Wharton Charles
  Wheatcroft George
1 Wheatcroft William
3 Wilson Joseph
3 Wilson Joseph, jun.

Transcribed by Stephen Kimberley. Reproduced by courtesy of Jayne McHugh.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Newbold/Bagshaw1846.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library