New Brampton

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

ST. THOMAS', NEW BRAMPTON, is an extensive ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1832 from that of Brampton and Chesterfield, including Holymoorside, Walton and part of Newbold. The parish, most of which in 1892 was included in the borough of Chesterfield, comprises an area of about 5 miles by 3, on the borders of Chesterfield, and is on the river Hipper; the portion of the parish not included in the borough of Chesterfield is, together with Old Brampton, under the Brampton and Walton Urban District Council. The Chesterfield Tramway Co. run cars here from Chesterfield every 20 minutes.

The church of St. Thomas, erected in 1831, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower surmounted by four pinnacles and containing one bell: there are marble tablets to the Rev. Matson Vincent M.A. and the Rev. John Berridge Jebb M.A. first and second incumbents of this parish: a new chancel was erected in 1892, at a cost of £1,600: the church contains 1,600 sittings, half of which are free. The register dates from the year 1831. The living was declared a rectory 16 Aug. 1867, average tithe rent-charge £197, net yearly value £236, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Edward Starkie Shuttleworth M.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford.

The Congregational chapel was erected in 1873 and enlarged in 1877, at a cost or £2,700, with sittings for 480 persons. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1827, and enlarged in 1848 to seat 130. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels, one of which, enlarged in 1866, will seat 200, and the other, built in 1871, has sittings for 300. In this parish are several large factories for brown earthenware and stone bottles, cotton wick, chip boxes, pot moulds, lint, fire-bricks and needles, besides a brewery, ironfoundries and chemical works. The neighbourhood abounds with coal and iron-stone. The population of the parish in 1861 was 5,259; 1881 was 7,251; 1891 was 8,130.

Parish Clerk, Arthur Gibbons.

HOLYMOORSIDE is on the river Hipper, 2 miles south-west; here is a mission church and Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels: there is also a Working Men's Institute and a sewing-cotton factory.

WALTON is a township on the river Hepper [sic], in the parish of Chesterfield and in the ecclesiastical district of St. Thomas, Brampton; but since 1892 certain portions immediately adjoining the river have been included in the borough of Chesterfield. At Holymoorside is a school-chapel, erected in 1841, and served from St. Thomas's New Brampton, for which see Chesterfield, and a Congregational chapel. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, the Hon. Mrs. Hunloke of Wingerworth Hall and Mrs. Jebb are the principal landowners. The soil and subsoil are clay; the chief crops are wheat and oats. The area of the original township was 2,424 acres, reduced by the extension of the borough of Chesterfield in 1892 to 2,359; rateable value in 1895 £5,120; the population in 1891 was 1,444, but is now 470, 974 having been added to Chesterfield.
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/NewBrampton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library