Old Brampton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Chesterfield, containing 2632 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean of Lincoln. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. A new church, or chapel, is about to be erected in the eastern part of the parish, by subscription, and a grant from the parliamentary commissioners.

There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The parish abounds with coal and iron-stone, and the casting of iron is carried on to a limited extent: the manufactory of pottery-ware is conducted on a larger scale. There is a canal from Chesterfield to Gainsborough. A National school, used also as a Sunday school, has been established, for which the erection of a new school-room is contemplated: it is also intended to form a similar institution in connexion with the new church.

CUTTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of BRAMPTON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, containing 315 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/OldBrampton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library