Birchwood Methodist Chapel, Birchwood

Recent Photograph of Birchwood Methodist Chapel (Birchwood)

This Church was built by John Smedley of Matlock, who was also responsible for the building of Smedley's Hydro (currently County Hall) and Riber Castle, Matlock. The Church first opened in 1853 and in 1874, after the death of John Smedley, was purchased by church members for £800. The Church interior houses a balcony at the tower end with purpose built staging for anniversaries, etc at the opposite end.

There is an integral school-room, with a moveable partition between it and the main body of the church. The school room in turn has banks of three rooms either side, whose partitions can also be removed, meaning practically the whole of the interior can be converted into one huge almost L-shaped space.

The rear of the integral Methodist Schoolroom may be seen on the right, and there is also a photograph of the Methodist Chapel (Rear View).

(Information provided by Janet Kirk)

Image contributed by Peter & Janet Kirk on 20th October 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library