St Thomas's Church, Somercotes

Recent Photograph of St Thomas's Church (Somercotes)

St Thomas Church, Nottingham Road, Somercotes was consecrated in 1854, initially as a chapel of ease of Riddings Church. Prior to this, the residents would have used the Churches at Alfreton or Ironville for worship and baptisms, marriages and burials. Somercotes as we know it today, did not become a settlement until the early 1800's. The now busy main road to Nottingham which cuts through the village replaced the old turnpike road, which ran further north and closer to Alfreton, across Birchwood Lane to Pye Bridge and into Nottinghamshire. One of the Toll Houses was near “The Black Horse” Public House, Lower Somercotes, the oldest part of the village. Until the mid 19th century, the newer part, on top of the hill, was known as “Upper Somercotes” to distinguish it.

(Information provided by Janet Kirk/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Peter & Janet Kirk on 20th October 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Somercotes/StThomas1.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library