Alderley with Tresham

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ALDERLEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALD'S-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S.S.E.) from Wotton under Edge, containing 235 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £11. 4. 7., and in the patronage of Mr. and Mrs. Hale. The village is situated on a hill between two streams, which unite and fall into the Lower Avon. Cornua ammonis and other fossils are found here. Sir Matthew Hale, Lord Chief Justice in the reign of Charles II., born here November 1st, 1609, lies interred in the church.

TRESHAM, a chapelry in the parish of HAWKESBURY, upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALD'S-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S.E. by E.) from Wotton under Edge. The population is returned with the tything of Hillesley.

Editor's Note: Tresham was transferred from Hawkesbury to the parish of Alderley in the early 20th century.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Alderley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library