Hillesley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HILLESLEY, a tything in the parish of HAWKESBURY, upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALDS-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, 1 mile (S.S.E.) from Wotton under Edge, containing, with Hillcott, Saddlewood, and Tresham, 800 inhabitants. Here was anciently a chapel dedicated to St. Giles, but it has been demolished.

SADDLEWOOD, a tything in the parish of HAWKESBURY, upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALD'S-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Tetbury. The population is returned with Hillesley.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Hillesley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library