Amberley

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

AMBERLEY is an ecclesiastical parish, formed out of the parishes of Minchinhampton, Nailsworth and Rodborough in 1840: it is pleasantly situated about 700 feet above sea level, one mile west from Minchinhampton, and about one mile from either Nailsworth or Woodchester stations on a branch from Stonehouse junction of the Bristol and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, and 3 south from Stroud, in the Stroud division of the county, hundred of Longtree, petty sessional division of Nailsworth, union and county court district of Stroud, rural deanery of Stonehouse and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. This place gives the title of viscount to the Earls Russell.

The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1836, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of small chancel, nave, and a western bell-cot containing one bell: the cost was defrayed by the late David Ricardo esq.: in 1875 it was reseated, and stained windows inserted, and a new organ introduced at the expense of Mrs. Frith and her family: the church will seat 350 persons. The register dates from the year 1836. The living was declared a rectory Feb. 20, 1866, under the District Church Tithes Act of 1865, net yearly value £320, including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of R. Eaton White esq. and held since 1908 by the Rev. Frederic Ernest Warner M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.

The St. Loe charity, founded with £1,000 left by Nathaniel Cambridge esq. in 1697, by the purchasing in 1699 or thereabouts of the St. Loe's School property, is now, since the recent closing of the school, assigned to the provision of scholarships for boys of Woodchester and Amberley. The Blackwell Memorial Room, used for weekly meetings, was built by public subscription as a testimonial to the late Rev. Robert Edward Blackwell, perpetual curate here from 1836, and will hold about 70 persons. In 1897 a drinking fountain was erected by public subscription, near the schools, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Moor Court, formerly called Mugmore House, is the property and residence of Mrs. Stevenson; Amberley Court, of William Davies esq. J.P.; The Culver House, of Mrs. Davidson. The population of the parish in 1911 was 1,231.

ST. CHLOE is a hamlet half a mile north from Amberley, a quarter of a mile from Woodchester station on the Nailsworth branch of the Midland railway.

NORTH AMBERLEY (or LITTLEWORTH) is a hamlet in the ecclesiastical parish of AMBERLEY, 1 mile and a quarter west from Minchinhampton parish church, and contains a Wesleyan chapel. The soil is clay; subsoil, rock. The land is mostly in pasture. The chief crops are wheat and turnips.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Amberley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library