English Bicknor

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BICKNOR (ENGLISH), a parish in the hundred of ST-BRIAVELLS, county of GLOUCESTER, 3¾ miles (N.) from Coleford, containing 534 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands within the area of an ancient fortification, the fosse belonging to which may still be traced. This parish lies within the forest of Dean, on the eastern bank of the Wye, opposite to Welch-Bicknor, and contains mines of coal and iron: the neighbourhood produces a considerable quantity of apples, particularly of that kind from which styre cider is made.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/EnglishBicknor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library