St Catharine's Church, Gloucester (Foundation Stone)

Recent Photograph of St Catharine's Church (Foundation Stone) (Gloucester)

The Inscription reads:

To the Glory of God
This foundation stone was laid
by
The Right Honble Viscount St. ALDWYN
Right Worshipful
Provincial Grand Master of Gloucestershire
with Masonic Ceremonial
the 28th Day of May 1912
A. BALLINGERS.R. ROBERTSONF. HOLE
Vicars WardenVicarParish Warden
Walter B. WOOD J. BYARD & Sons
Architect Builders

The architect, Walter Bryan WOOD was the son of John Yorke and Caroline WOOD, born in Bury, Lancashire in 1852. He joined the firm of Messrs Waller & Sons, Architects as a pupil, became a junior partner in 1882, then started his own architectural firm in 1889, at 12 Queen Street, Gloucester.

Walter was married in 1881 to Elizabeth Margaretta WOOD, of Barnwood. He died on 28th January 1926 aged 74 years, and is buried in Barnwood churchyard.

(Information provided by John Williams/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by John Williams on 25th November 2010.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Gloucester/StCatharine3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library