St Mary Magdalene's Church, Gloucester

Recent Photograph of St Mary Magdalene's Church (Gloucester)

The 12th century chancel (with Norman arch) survives of this Leper Hospital Chapel in Hillview Gardens, in situ - unlike the two structures to the west, a medieval conduit and a preaching cross, both originally in the centre of the city. Restored in 1995 with a grant from English Heritage, this little structure is now boarded up and much vandalised, to the city's shame. The chancel arch was blocked when the nave was pulled down in 1867; inside there are two more Norman doorways re-erected from the nave North & South walls and a recumbent effigy of a Lady. (The Board with history and sketches is not vandalised!)

[Rosemary adds] The latest news in 2011 is that St Mary Magdalene's Chapel has received a grant for restoration work and has now been given a new door and leaded windows and will soon re-open to the public. It is one of 30 monuments now in the care of Gloucester City Council. Thanks to John Williams for this information.

(Information provided by Phil Draper/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 16th March 2006.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Gloucester/StMaryMagdalene.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library