St Mary de Crypt's Church, Gloucester

Recent Photograph of St Mary de Crypt's Church (Gloucester)

St Mary de Crypt is the first medieval city centre church, in Southgate. Cruciform with central tower (which had tall angle pinnacles removed in 1920s), the nave and aisles under one single roof, the east arm more traditional with clerestory. Norman west door (recarved in 1844). The appearance otherwise is Decorated and Perpendicular. A two-storeyed range adjoins at the North West corner facing Southgate.

(Information provided by Phil Draper)


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 16th March 2006.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Gloucester/StMarydeCrypt.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library