Kings Stanley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STANLEY (KING'S), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Stroud, containing 2269 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £18. 15. 2., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. George. There are places. of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. Three small schools, conducted by females, in different parts of the parish, are partly supported with £18 a year, arising from several bequests. Here are Vestiges of an ancient encampment, at some distance from which eight Roman altars, a large brass of Alexander Severus, and other relics, were discovered some years since.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/KingsStanley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library