Stonehouse

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STONEHOUSE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (W.) from Stroud, containing 2126 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £22, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Cyr, though much modernised, retains some portions in the Norman style, particularly the north door. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The river Froome, and the Stroudwater canal, pass through the parish. Fairs are held on May 1st and October 11th. The clothing manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent. Limestone is obtained in the parish. Here is a mineral spring, near which a house was erected, some years since, for the accommodation of visitors, but it is not much resorted to. John Elliott and others, in 1774, subscribed £612. 10. for establishing a free school here, and another in the hamlet of Ebley: the income is £47 a year; the number of scholars at Stonehouse is twenty-eight, and at Ebley sixteen.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Stonehouse/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library