Turkdean

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TURKDEAN, a parish in the hundred of BRADLEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from North Leach, containing 228 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £10, endowed with £210 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are quarries of good freestone, from which large quantities were taken and used in the building of Blenheim House.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Turkdean/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library