Westbury on Severn

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WESTBURY-upon-SEVERN, a parish in the hundred of WESTBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E. by E.) from Newnham, containing, with the township of Rodley, which is locally in the duchy of Lancaster, 1889 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £20. 2. 8., and in the patronage of the Custos of the College of Vicars-Choral in the Cathedral Church of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Severn bounds the parish on the east and south. A National school is partly supported by subscriptions, and partly with an annuity of £4. 10., arising from two small bequests by John Young, in 1650, and Joseph Houlstead, in 1722.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/WestburyonSevern/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library