Winterbourne

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WINTERBOURNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of LANGLEY-and-SWINEHEAD, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (N.E. by N.) from Bristol, containing, with the hamlet of Hambrook, 2627 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Consistorial Court of the Bishop of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £27. 7. 6. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, John Silcocks, in 1741, left an annuity of £2. 10. for teaching children to read. A National school, established here and supported by voluntary contributions, affords instruction to about one hundred and eighty children.

HAMBROOK, a chapelry in the parish of WINTERBOURNE, upper division, of the hundred of LANGLEY-and-SWINEHEAD, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.E. by N.) from Bristol, containing 968 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Winterbourne/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library