Bosbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BOSBURY, a parish in the hundred of RADLOW county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Ledbury, containing, with Up-Leadon, 966 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £10. 3. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient edifice, containing some interesting monuments. A free grammar school, endowed by Sir Rodland Morton, has lately been discontinued, owing to the appropriation of the income, which is about £135 per annum, to the discharge of the costs of a suit in Chancery, which, for the next twenty years, will absorb the whole of the proceeds. Mr. Bridges, of Tiberton Court, bequeathed £5 per annum for apprenticing one poor child; and there are several other small bequests for the benefit of the poor. The bishops of Hereford had formerly a palace here, the remains of which have been converted into farm buildings.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Bosbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library