St Mary the Virgin's Church, Ross

Recent Photograph of St Mary the Virgin's Church (Ross)

The whole of the present church, with the exception of the north (Markye) chapel, which dates from 1510, was built during the last quarter of the 13th, and first part of the 14th centuries, and illustrates the typical Decorated architectural style of the period. It was dedicated in 1316.

The spire was rebuilt in 1721, and the 25ft pinnacles added at the expense of John Kyrle. Further restoration was necessary in 1852, and in 1911, then again in 2009, as can be seen by the scaffolding surrounding the tower.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Mel Lockie on 27th October 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Ross/StMary.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library