Bridstow

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BRIDSTOW, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 1 mile (W.N.W.) from Ross, containing 541 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £9. 3. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church, is dedicated to St. Bridget. Wilton castle, the ruins of which constitute an interesting object on the western bank of the Wye, in this neighbourhood, was anciently the baronial residence of the noble family of Grey, who assumed their title from this place: it was burnt by order of the royalist governor at Hereford, during the parliamentary war, and the walls are now overspread with ivy.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Bridstow/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library