St Mary's Church, Ross (Markye Chapel)

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (Markye Chapel) (Ross)

This chapel is to the south of the Rudhall Chapel, and was built in about 1510. It now commemorates the Markye family (a notable family in Ross in the early 17th century), but was originally the chapel of the Mutton family who owned Alton Court before the Markyes, and in 1658, Lord Grey's Chapel, for residents of Wilton Castle.

The chapel also contains the War Memorials, and an oak screen on which are carved the badges of the various regiments to which the men belonged.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Mel Lockie on 12th November 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Ross/StMary4.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library